November 21, 2019, Georgetown, Guyana
On November 20, 2019, we organized elections for Student Governing Council (SGC) on the University’s campus.
To ensure free and fair conduct of SGC elections, an Elections Coordinating Committee comprising of five students was formed, including the following members:
- Mr. Stephen Yohanna Habila, Chief Coordinator;
- Mr. Rahul Ravish, Coordinator; and
- Ms. Nde Constance Nkiruka, Coordinator
LAU Vice-Chancellor, University members, and students during SGC Elections 2019. [Georgetown, Guyana, November 20, 2019]
Students standing for elections presented their manifesto before the audience comprising of fellow students and University members including:
- Vice-Chancellor Air Marshal (Dr) Pawan Kapoor AVSM, VSM, and BAR (Retd), Former Director-General of Medical Services (IAF);
- Associate Dean Dr. Wesley Torrington;
- Mr. Kabir, Director of Finance; and
- Registrar Mr. G V Ranganath.
An LAU student presenting his manifesto during the manifesto session of SGC Elections 2019 [Georgetown, Guyana, November 20, 2019]
While presenting their respective manifestos, students gave their own ideas of carrying the University further and how they will contribute towards the furtherance of students and the University’s interests.
LAU students at the SGC Elections 2019. [Georgetown, Guyana, November 20, 2019]
After the session on the presentation of manifestos, the voting session started. All the students in the University were invited to join and cast their votes.
To keep the voting neutral and fair, strict arrangements were made. Students, who were present for voting, were required to sign the attendance register before proceeding to cast their votes.
An LAU student signing the attendance register before proceeding to cast a vote in SGC Elections 2019. [Georgetown, Guyana, November 20, 2019]
Elections were conducted in a fair and democratic way, and each student was given the right to vote. A total of 98% of the students voted in the SGC elections under the supervision of faculty and the Elections Coordinating Committee.
Students Proceed to cast their votes in SGC Elections 2019. [Georgetown, Guyana, November 20, 2019]
After the conclusion of the voting session, votes were counted to find the winners. The Vice-Chancellor announced the winning team in the presence of all the University members and students.
Vice-Chancellor Air Marshal (Dr) Pawan Kapoor AVSM, VSM, and BAR (Retd), Former Director-General of Medical Services (IAF), announcing results of SGC Elections 2019. [Georgetown, Guyana, November 20, 2019]
As a result of student voting, the following members were selected for the new team of Student Governing Council:
- Mr. Dinesh Devada, President
- Ms. Nalini Deodat, Vice President
- Mr. Sayed Abrar, General Secretary
- Ms. Kirtana Ranganath, Assistant Secretary
- Mr. Dishant Singh, Treasurer
- Mr. Robin Singh, Secretary, Cultural Activities
- Ms. Amisha Singh, Vice Secretary, Cultural Activities
- Mr. Ram Chouhan, Secretary, Extra-Curricular Activities
- Ms. Ayesha Taj, Vice- Secretary, Extra-Curricular Activities
- Ms. Christina Satram, Secretary, Communication
- Mr. Shreyas Shrivastava, Secretary, Science Activities
- Ms. Soumya Gupta, Vice-Secretary, Science Activities
- Mr. Pratahamesh Mestry, Secretary, Sports Activities
- Mr. Sarthak Yadav, Vice-Secretary, Sports Activities
- Ms. Latifa Forde, Secretary, Public Relations
We congratulate all the nominees for being nominated and the new 15-member SGC team for being elected.
Vice-Chancellor Air Marshal (Dr) Pawan Kapoor AVSM, VSM, and BAR (Retd), Former Director-General of Medical Services (IAF), congratulating members of the new SGC Team for winning the elections. [Georgetown, Guyana, November 20, 2019]
The elected students will be the various office bearers in the SGC and will have all the University support to exercise their responsibilities, including:
- Abiding by and ensuring compliance with the Student Code of Conduct and University policies;
- Taking care of student concerns;
- Organizing events and extra-curricular activities including cultural programs, festivities, and sports competitions, for the all-round development and recreation of the students;
- Representing and advocating for the best interests of the students.
We bestow our faith in the Student Governing Council and are confident that SGC members will work in the best interests of the University and the students.
Members of the Student Governing Council 2020. [Georgetown, Guyana, November 20, 2019]
Formation of Student Governing Council is an effort of Lincoln American University to build a culture of transparency, authenticity, creativity, and community. These efforts will help the students make the most of their medical education in Guyana. It will also ensure that students can express their issues and get quick resolutions and enjoy Caribbean student life in Guyana to the fullest.
The SGC activities will make significant contributions to the holistic development of the students. It will make sure that once our students complete MBBS in Guyana, they step out as not only well-versed healthcare professionals but also well-versed human beings.